Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Prophets...

Now, I know that there are millions of people in this world who call themselves 'prophets', especially among the monotheistic faiths. Sometimes I stop and wonder to myself, if there are so many prophets in the world, then why doesn't anyone question why this planet is still so screwed up? You'd think that if an all-powerful God spoke to those people, he would give them some clue as to how to go about changing this place. Humans don't seek death, we seek life just like every other primate on the planet. We aren't in a rush to get to the grave to meet this loving God, and we work to the bones to grasp this life of ours. We feed ourselves and our children with fruits, vegetables, grains, and meats - you would think that this all-knowing God would take notice of this and give those prophets a clue. You would think that this all-loving God would tell those prophets, "Hey, go out and help your world. Teach them loving-kindness and justice. I will offer help in whatever way I think is right, and I will take your thoughts into consideration." But this God doesn't say things like this to his prophets. In fact, he seems not to really talk about anything worth talking about, and his prophets talk about nothing more than nonsensical garbage. Their God really doesn't seem to move at all, he may move things spiritual, but when it comes to reality, he moves nothing. I'm not surprised that some people say to themselves, "Maybe atheists are right about all of this."

The prophets really teach nothing more than heaven and hell and aren't worth much of anything on this planet besides being babblers of superstition, and fortune-tellers of good news. They only talk about things found in scriptures and aren't able to come up with any solutions to our problems. They show inequality and support poverty by teaching the joys of wealth to their listeners. These prophets truly love capitalism, and can I blame them? Most of them love wealth, and they know that the rest of these screwed-up people on this screwed-up planet love wealth as well, so it's what the prophets teach. Tell people what they love to hear - it's the way of God!

Unfortunately, the prophets don't realize that wealth directly effects those who aren't wealthy - and, once again, you'd think that their God would give them a clue! I suppose that paradise to them means having any and everything you want in life - for that's what they say they're going to have in heaven... I think the Egyptians pharoahs believed the same things. I find that this God is really a God that only dead people can get to know, and those of us who are alive are completely out of luck until we take a bullet to the brain, suffer the fate of some horrible disease, or go down in some sinking ship gasping for what little air is left. One can only wonder exactly how we are in God's image.

All in all, I would say that the prophets do an excellent job of teaching people things they enjoy listening to - I guess a man like me doesn't have a shot at helping this place. You see, I have no good words in my mouth; I may smile, but behind these teeth rests a foul tongue with more truths than any prophet would dare utter.

"Amos replied to Amaziah, 'I am not a prophet, nor am I the son of a prophet.'" ~ Amos 7:14